Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Lenten Challenge, 2015

If you follow me on Instagram, you might have noticed a reoccurring theme in my pictures the past few weeks: there's been a ton of food pictures, and mostly fruits and vegetables.  The hashtags* for these posts have included: #eatyoveggies, #lentenchallenge, and #healthyseminarian. 

 (*hashtags defined as a word or an unspaced phrase prefixed with the hash character (or number sign) to form a label, thank you wikipedia)


Banana, Edamame, Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
This has been my Lenten practice this year. Not the food pictures or hashtags, but the incorporation of fruits and vegetables into my daily eating.

You might wonder what in the world possessed me to take on this challenge. It started with a message on our campus from our Healthy Seminarians-Healthy Church Initiative Group:

Lenten “Fruit & Vegetable Tracking” Team Challenge!
Tired of giving up chocolate for Lent? Want a more fruitful way of observing the season? Consider participating in this 40-day challenge. Here is how it works:
• Register to participate 

• Everyone will be randomly placed in teams of four.
• Each week during Lent, everyone will keep track of their fruit and vegetable consumption via the tracking forms e-mailed to you by Karen.
• The team that has the best average* during Lent wins a prize!

Tomato, basil, and fresh mozzarella
Why are we doing this? Because most people in the United States do not meet the minimum daily requirements of fruit and vegetable consumption. Adult daily intake should be between 7-11 servings based on age and activity level. However, adults are currently consuming approximately 1 serving of fruit and 1.5 servings of vegetables a day.

* Since we don’t want to promote over consumption, everyone will be given a target number based on age and activity level. Plus, everyone will be able to earn extra points for consuming local and in-season produce. 
I was intrigued by this challenge, and had been wondering what I would do for my Lenten practice this year.  In the past, I've taken on things, such as daily journaling or not eating fast food.  I've never fully succeeded and often ended up walking through Lent with feelings of shame and failure as opposed to focusing on what draws me towards Christ.


I talked with some of my friends and somehow we all convinced each other to do this together.  So, I signed up and sent my age and daily workout goals to Karen, who is the Healthy Seminarians – Healthy Church Initiative Executive Director, and she calculated what my daily goal of fruits and vegetables should be. 

The goal: 9 - 4 servings of fruit and 5 servings of vegetables, daily.  



Complex (kidding!) system of keeping track.
I'm not going to lie, the first couple of weeks were hard. In fact, they kind of sucked. I was constantly thinking of food, and what food I was going to eat, and how to plan out my snacks and what to eat when and where, and when would I find the time to choke down carrots and celery!   

And then, I realized I should be doing what I already love to do - cook - and just see how I could adapt the recipes for some more veggies.  This was a pivotal moment in this Lenten journey - I started enjoying getting these fruits and veggies in.  



Asparagus wrapped in bacon, with Parmesan
 I'm not going to lie, not only have my veggies and fruits been higher, but my bacon intake has risen significantly, as I've wrapped MANY a vegetables in this delicious product.  I also feel like I've been reintroduced to my vegetables and fruits.  Somewhere in my thirty years of living, I forgot the potential and just how tasty the fruits (and vegetables) of the earth are.  

There have been times my meals have been so simple that they seem childish at times, full of color and taste, and kind of fun to eat:



Edamame, grapes, baby peppers, and celery

There have been other times when I've been super impressed by my own ability to follow instructions and create meals that seem almost gourmet by some standards:


Sweet potato hash with kale, bacon, and an egg

I've cooked for others - one of my favorites has been the Vegetable Fried Rice from the Thug Kitchen cookbook.  (I've of course adapted it, and added an egg on top, which seems to be the story of my life.)


Veggie Fried Rice, adapted from Thug Kitchen

I've been more conscious of what I'm eating, at first just in terms getting the fruits and veggies in, but as it has progressed, what is in season, what is sustainable, and what my body needs. There are a few things I've learned while on this Lenten journey I thought I would share:

1. Everything is better when you have a partner or team. 
My roommate is participating in this challenge, and we happen to be on the same team.  It has been so much fun to brainstorm, whine a little bit, share our celebrations, and just have someone who knows what I'm doing and doesn't think it is crazy when at 11:00 pm I am heating up a bowl of mixed veggies for my bedtime snack.  I haven't had a spiritual discipline that has had this kind of partnership involved, where there is a team to encourage one another, and where even encouragement from other teams, all for the sake of reaching our goals.  It has made this journey a sharing experience, and we all know, I'm a sharer. 

Food Deserts according to USDA ERS; yellow star is CTS.
2. Injustice exists in our supermarkets - food deserts are real.
Where I live in Decatur, I have a couple of options on where to spend my money.  If I go to downtown Decatur, there's Baby Kroger, where the produce aisle is the size of the kitchen in our apartment (medium size) and has either very fresh or very old produce.  Then, if I go about three miles north, I'm at the Big Kroger - which has recently been remodeled and now hosts one of the largest organics section out of all my Kroger's. For the most part, this Kroger is super stocked, super clean, and full of super helpful people to meet my needs.  I love this Kroger for so many reasons.  But I struggle, because the Kroger I most often go to is one mile from my home.  And this Kroger is of a different feel and it definitely caters to a different crowd.  There is a barber, beauty shop, and nail salon and some other residences in this Kroger.  I feel loyal to this Kroger, but have noticed a profound difference in their produce and their product placements.  If the saying, "we are what we eat" is a true statement, these stores are catering to their "majority demographic".  Of course if I had the option between a brown and bruised apple and a Little Debbie apple cake, I'm going with Little Debbie.  I've been continually frustrated on this Lenten journey how socioeconomic status have determined for many what diet they should follow. 

Afternoon smoothie with some almond M&M's
3. It is all about balance. 
I'm not going to lie - one of my first thoughts in this challenge was how would I get to eat all those things I love eating - bread - sweets - things that don't always have vegetables.  Well - it's about balance.  I didn't just stop eating all that junk (that I love so dearly). What I did start doing was just negotiating it all - going out to a restaurant?  The occasional times that I eat out, I make the decision to have a side salad with my entree. No lie, there have been times it's been contested what actually fits into those fruit and vegetable categories.  (And no, fried sweet potato fries do not...baked, maybe...) What I have noticed is that I don't want all those things as much. Many of you know I always have my M&M jar - I've still got it!  But I don't just choose the M&M's - I go for the grapes or I go for the carrots with some hummus.  These little steps of incorporating veggies and fruits has made me not want to "waste" my day by just eating maybe not the best kind of foods for you, especially late at night.  I'd heard a rumor that if you change some of your eating habits, you don't crave certain things you did before.  This has proven true - now when I want sugar, I am satisfied with an apple and some almond butter.*
*Confession: I totally made zucchini chocolate chip bread this week that is PHENOMENAL. 
So, once again, negotiating. 


4. I'm more aware of God's good creation.
Anyone who has gone on a walk with me might remember I stop often, especially if there is some sort of bird or puppy or something colorful to look at.  I still do these things. And now, I do these things when I eat.  I've always enjoyed food - I've loved cooking and baking, but there seems to be a deeper understanding when I bite into some perfectly ripe produce. With the start of strawberry season, I sometimes feel like I am eating sunshine- they are just so darn good. Never has Psalm 24:1 seemed more true, "the earth is the Lord's and all it contains". As I wash the produce, I think of all the hands that have worked to get it to my kitchen here in Decatur - those who have planted, have nurtured, picked, boxed, and made it possible for this little bit of sunshine to show up in my kitchen. I'm working towards sustaining a budget where I can buy produce that comes with no guilt - that is supported by fair wages and sustainable practices.  With the nicer weather, our local Farmer's Market is starting back up, and I'm looking forward to meeting the faces of those who call this their vocation.


5. This is a sustainable practice. 
Just as fasting is a spiritual discipline, I've noticed so is eating. I am more aware of what is on my table, of what is going into my body, and how my body feels in participating in this challenge.  Am I going to become a vegetarian? Most likely not.  (See above comment on eggs and bacon.)  What I am is more aware of what I am saying is important in what I purchase.  I've had MORE trips to the grocery store that have had NO processed foods than ones that have.  This is exciting for me!  These small, daily decisions to not only eat a certain way, but also to compost, encourage others in their eating habits, and eat in season are sustainable. While I have been quite motivated by the point system in the challenge, I stopped caring about points a few weeks ago and just love these new eating habits. I love that I open my veggie drawer and see endless possibilities, and not something to fear.  I love that I have tried quite a few new recipes - some which have FAILED and some which have been huge successes.  I'm so proud that at the ripe old age of 30, I eat roasted brussel sprouts like some people eat popcorn. (THEY WERE SO GOOD.  LIKE WRITE HOME TO YOUR MAMA GOOD.) I love that I stop and pause in my busy days to notice the beauty that comes in the mundane, such as the end bits of celery.



Have I had any huge revelations along this journey towards the cross?
Nothing huge - but definitely life changing. How I eat is a reflection of how I see Christ at work in the world. I think Jesus would be behind fair wages for farm workers. I'm pretty certain Jesus would weep that not all his children could enjoy the literal fruits of God's creation. I think Jesus would have some words to say on how our neighborhoods and grocery stores are shaped by economics and not necessarily need. This somewhat simple journey of eating fruits and 
vegetables has been one filled with joy and misery (the day I ate too much kale...)
It has been a journey that has shifted from what is easy and cheap to one that is thoughtful and demands a bit of work.  It has been fun and it has been a bit childlike at times. It's led to many interesting conversations that take me outside my walls of comfort in meaningful ways.

Typical breakfast: avocado toast with tomato

As we move towards the cross this week, here is a reflection shared by the Iona Community from "A Chaos of Uncalculating Love" by George Macleod :

In the temple You threw out the money changers, Lord Christ:
down the steps and out of the door –
and into the vacant aisles came the children
shouting for joy and dancing round.

Too often we are the money changers:
giving short change in spiritual things
to many who seek the true coin:
making the Church an institute
when you want it to be a chaos of uncalculating love.

Drive out from out hearts
our calculated offerings,
our easy responses,
and let child-like faith
flood into us again.
Grant us such abandon, of Your grace alone,
that we too shall be made strong
to go outside the city wall
outside holiness
and die in the bloody mess of another Calvary
that the Church at home may live again.


No comments:

Post a Comment