Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Choose Kind


I recently read a book (for class!) called Wonder, by R.J. Palacio, and it is one of those books I couldn't put down.  There's a variety of characters involved in the story, but it mainly focuses on the life of 10 yr old Augustus, or Auggie, for short. Auggie suffers from a chromosomal disorder which has left him with a face that looks a bit different. Auggie is the unconventional hero, facing bullies, facing discrimination, and facing middle school - all with this grand sense of humor, and wonder. The story allows for insights from his life from his perspective, as well as his sister's, a few of his friends - and yes, even his bully.  I'm not going to tell you the whole story, but I am going to recommend that you take the time to read this book. 

And then, after you have read it and experienced the ups and downs that come with the story, I'm going to invite you to do two things:



1) pass the book on to someone else to read, 

and



2) choose kind. 

This story has been stuck in my head and heart since I finished it, and I keep thinking, how am I choosing kind?  It's what I'm called to do as a follower of Christ, but I don't think it is too lofty of an expectation for all humankind.  I wish I could say that it is ingrained in every part of my body, mind, and soul, but alas, I'm not that perfect.  Choosing to be kind is something I almost default to, but in all honesty, it is something I continue to seek out and practice.  What does it look like to choose kind?




 This past week I had the privilege to travel to Baltimore for the annual Association of Presbyterian Church Educators.  It was a wonderful time spent with many old friends, and a time, too, of making new friends.  Early into my trip, I had dinner with a man from Sapulpa, OK who was involved in Youth Ministry. He shared a story with us at the dinner table, and I left thinking, "he chose to be kind".  The next morning I rushed to find him midst the hundreds gathered to ask if I could share his story, and with his blessing (and in my own words)- here it is:

He'd been walking around the streets of Baltimore trying to find the perfect place for a meal.  Along his route, he encountered a man in need of many things - in need of shelter, in need of a shower, in need of a life without addiction, but most urgently at this time, in need of a meal.  My new friend said he was on route to lunch, and would be delighted to share a meal with the man.  He shared a story to his new lunch companion about how on an earlier trip he'd found a rockin' restaurant of a certain flavor, and as the two were walking, they happened upon the same kind of flavor of restaurant. They shared a meal together as well as a bit of each other's story, and then parted.  My new friend in his encounter with this man, chose kind.  He stopped to invite a stranger onto his path for an amount of time. He chose to be kind. 


I happened to be the stranger someone was kind to in my time in Baltimore last week.  I was having a frustrating day, which as we all might know, sometimes happens.  I was weary of many things, and struggling to see where I fit in this one environment.  I was on the phone with my mom (which is sometimes the best thing you can do on days like this, in my experience), pacing in front of the local grocery store.  I was explaining to my mom what I was feeling, and made the exasperated comment, "I just don't see how I fit into this world!".  I was speaking not of the world in general, but specifically the formal institutions of the world.  A young man carrying his groceries breezed past me during this moment, and without skipping a beat, turned back to me, and yelled, "Yes, you do!  You belong in this world!" and then kept walking.  Startled, I looked up a bit flabbergasted, and wanted to explain to him I know I belong in this world, but this was a hypothetical world.  

But before I could respond back, he turned again and shouted to me down the dark street, 
"We all have days like this.  You belong."

Y'all, I nearly started weeping then and there. I needed to hear that - from a random stranger on a dimly lit street in a strange city, at that time and place. 

He chose kind. 
Such simple words.
Such easy words to speak to a stranger. 
 Such plain and straightforward words that will remain tattooed on my heart forever. 



"Share with me."
"You belong."
"Choose kind."





Want to learn more about Wonder?  Check out the web page!
Want to publicly Choose Kind? Sign the pledge here!




No comments:

Post a Comment