Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Olaf in Scotland

Confession: I am really missing some of the amazing/beautiful/wonderful/worship-filled places I visited earlier this year. Like, the kind of missing where you find yourself just staring into the sun thinking about how that same sun was shining down from you a few thousand miles away just a short time ago.  I miss some of the fantastic people I met while traveling.  I miss the noises - the ocean - the accents - the constant horns of cars and trains.  

I miss quite a few things.  

So, what better way to reminisce?  

Share pictures of Olaf in Scotland, of course.   

 Who knew it was so affordable to ride first class? (Actually, RIDICULOUSLY SURPRISINGLY SO!)




 Looking good, Glasgow.

Some have the Royal Mile, Glasgow has the Style Mile. 


Cute.




I mean, who doesn't visit graveyards in cities?  
(I LOVE DOING THIS.)




 John Knox Memorial


 Bird on Statue. 


 Edinburgh, how I love your steps. 
(I had a GIANT suitcase with me. My own fault.)

















Olaf loves Scotland.


 Picture perfect day.


 WITH A RAINBOW!


Olaf and I were headed to Iona.  To get to Iona, you must first go to Oban. So, in Oban, Olaf and I did some touristy type of things.  

Like whiskey. 

 





If you've never been to Scotland, you should know that besides an abundance of whiskey, there's an abundance of something else. 

Besides men in kilts.  

Besides lochs. 

It's sheep. 

And Iona has lots and lots and lots of sheep.  They're sort of adorable, in a weird kind of way.





As well as cute, they're kind of creepy. 




 And they're easily distracted.








 Isn't it a gorgeous day?  We got lucky. 






 So, back to getting to Iona.  We were distracted by the sheep.  You take a train to Oban, and then a ferry across to the Island of Mull. 


 Then you take a bus across the island of Mull. 



 Followed by another ferry that seems to take safety a bit more seriously. 



 CHOPPY CHOPPY WATERS 
(and really it was nothing like what came later in the week.)




 Yay, we made it to IONA.





 The Abbey.  


 Olaf loves this shelf, it's where the peanut butter is held.  
(NOT THAT THE FOOD WAS BAD - it was actually amazing.  Like, beyond amazing.  Fresh scones and bread at meal time, warm soups, FRESH fruit even! We just like peanut butter...a lot...)


 Art has been generously created and donated to the Abbey.  It's like walking through an art museum at times.





 Why I had to pay the heavy baggage fee when flying back. 


 Dinner time!


 Olaf and I were assigned to the Seal group, which meant we did dinner clean up and some other chores...


 Seated at the head of the table as a server/cleaner upper.



Yay washing dishes! (I missed my Refectory job so much at Columbia!)




 WE DRINK SO MUCH TEA.  
SO. 
MUCH. 
TEA.
(It is a good thing, especially when where you are living is a very cold stone building.)


 You'll be glad to know there is a bar on Iona.  During the winter it is open on Thursdays from 21:00-23:00.


 Our other chore!  Cleaning showers!


 Yay!!!



All my mission trip experiences have trained me well!





Tour around the Chapel beginning with the font.







 Where monks would sit during prayers.


 What remains from a statue of Columba.


 Olaf loves the beach. 





 Rocks at the beach.


 Olaf found a sheep!



On my last day, I found an adorable shop with cappuccinos! Olaf and I sipped it while pondering at the remains of the nunnery. 

These are just Olaf pictures.  There are so many more of Iona and my time in Scotland.  Words don't do justice to the beauty and peace found at that place, but I'll work on getting some pictures up so it can be shared. 

There's also that time Olaf went to France. Stay tuned!

Blessings!
Katy

No comments:

Post a Comment