Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Left Overs

If you are curious as to why I chose this title for today's entry, don't worry, so am I.


I think it's because my brain still feels like it is full of "leftovers" from taking midterms last week.  Even with a bit of a break (and some fun!), I still feel a bit sluggish in getting back in the groove of school.  (It also might be this lovely head cold I have going on as well...


So leftovers.  I think with Thanksgiving on the horizon, leftovers are on my mind.  I think they are actually my favorite part.  My Peepa (Dad's Dad) would actually eat the "leftovers" only a couple hours after the real meal.  He would (and still does) put some cold turkey on bread (Texas Toast by Mrs. Bairds) with some mayo and sit down and eat it, most likely with some potato chips.  My mom's side of the family makes hot turkey sandwiches as part of the leftovers.  I think I like these warm sandwiches with delicious gravy more than I like the actual turkey!  So now that you are all drooling, what is the big deal with leftovers?


Leftovers tell a story.  Looking in the fridge at my sister's place, I'll see something and ask, "what is this from?".  In her response, I hear of a success story with a new recipe that her husband and her bonded over.  At my parent's house, I see that Dad visited his favorite Greek restaurant and there is just a bite left over.  Leftovers are the reason my little sister won't eat Sloppy Joe anymore, which is a #1 request from the big kids to have mom make!  (Apparently they were eating Sloppy Joes for days upon days...)   There are even highly coveted leftovers within my family - Cafe Max or the spicy corn souffle - arguments have taken place over who gets to consume these.


I love leftovers.  I love that a simple to go box can take me back to the actual Pei Wei date I had with my little sister.  I love how I remember the meal shared, the conversations, and just how I felt.  Am I over thinking this a bit?  Possibly.  But I know when I am back home, I'll open the fridge and hear some stories about some leftovers.   


Abundant and Loving God, thank you for always providing for your people, in ways we don't even see.  Help us to use the resources you've given us wisely and responsibly.  In the abundance we live in, help open our eyes to remember those who don't have enough even for a meal. In your name, amen.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy your prayers - and your reflections. Keep up the love of leftovers!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love leftovers from Grandma Ginny's!
    auntie el

    ReplyDelete