Monday, November 28, 2011

Welcome Back, Part I

Well, I'm safe and sound and back on the lovely (if not dreary and cold today) campus of Columbia Theological Seminary. Today is one of those days where I wonder how much of the cold I'm willing and ready to endure, also known as "How much Texas do I have in Me?" but a phone call home reassured me that it was indeed cold there as well. My break home was much needed and so absolutely wonderful.  I'm going to sum in up briefly here, and plan on expanding some over the week.

My first morning at home I awoke to this adorable little boy landing on my bed from the arms of his daddy (my twin) and let me tell you, there is no better way to wake up!
I had so much fun waking up early to spend time with my happy nephew and as you can see, we read many a books.  He's crawling so fast and I wouldn't be surprised if he's walking by the time I return. My nephew is such a fun kid to be around and while we were together, I introduced him to my mom's piano...he loved it! My mom had been thinking of getting rid of the piano and I had begged her to keep it, my one argument being that every grandma's house needed a piano.  
So glad it's still there - Twin and I tried to play a duet while Jaybird played on. It was also so wonderful to spend time with my brother. While skpye, phone calls, letters and more are great, there is nothing more than an actual real life hug.
Later in the day I headed over to my sister's house to spend time with her and her precious little girl.  The last time I saw my niece she was a week old, and now she is over 3 months!  This little girl definitely has some personality and the cutest pout I've ever seen.  And boy, she has some lungs.  My brother thinks she will be either an opera singer or a triathlete. I promise, she really does like me (or so I think).  
(She makes the cutest baby burrito)

My time spent at home was just what I needed.  From my church family on Sunday to my personal family and to my friends who make up more of my family, it was so good to see them all.  And it was very encouraging to have them acknowledge what I am doing and where I am and support it.  In this small little seminary world, it's easy to get wrapped up in the books, the essays, the work, and more- my time home reminded me that this seminary journey is more than just the books and classes.  And - this journey is just beginning!  I was reminded that in the times I feel overwhelmed, there are people keeping me in their prayers.  That's a wonderful (and powerfully humbling) feeling.

Lately I've been singing the hymn "Now Thank We All Our God".  This past week at Thanksgiving I was truly humbled by all the blessings in my life.  I think being farther away might influence my more gracious attitude, but regardless, I feel so blessed and thankful for all God does. 

My goal in moving towards this season of Advent is to not forget this season of Thanksgiving.  I've printed out this hymn and have it posted in my room along side some Hebrew vocab in hopes I remember to thank my God, who truly has blessed me on my way.

Now thank we all our God, with heart and hands and voices,
Who wondrous things has done, in Whom this world rejoices;
Who from our mothers’ arms has blessed us on our way
With countless gifts of love, and still is ours today.

O may this bounteous God through all our life be near us,
With ever joyful hearts and blessèd peace to cheer us;
And keep us in His grace, and guide us when perplexed;
And free us from all ills, in this world and the next!

All praise and thanks to God the Father now be given;
The Son and Him Who reigns with Them in highest Heaven;
The one eternal God, whom earth and Heaven adore;
For thus it was, is now, and shall be evermore.


1 comment:

  1. I'm so sad that I didn't get to see you!! Let me know when you're coming home for Christmas (I have a week off before that.) I miss you! Also, I love your hair cut. Totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete