Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Birds, Squirrels, and Chipmunks - Oh My!

As a child, like many other women of the world, I loved the Disney Princesses.  While some loved the idea of being swept off their feet by a prince or the leisurely lifestyle that came with being a princess, for me, it was more of the "burst into song at any moment" and "sing and talk with your animal friends" lifestyle that hooked me in.

Snow White sharing her dreams with the woodland creatures.

I'm serious.  I've always wanted to communicate with animals.

Cinderella was buds with the birds.

Wouldn't it be neat if cute little birds and forest animals could help you get ready in the morning?

Aurora and her friends.  (Sleeping Beauty - my favorite!)

Some might argue these Disney princesses talked to the woodland creatures because they had no one else to talk to (a reoccurring theme in these princesses' lives), but it's still fun to imagine themselves engaged with the creatures of their environments. 

So why do I share this confession with you today?

Giselle from Enchanted.

(I promise it is not because I have no one else to talk to.)

I've been spending some time outdoors by myself since coming to Chapel Hill.  Most of this time involves me going on long walks around town, but some of this time is sitting on the steps of my back porch....
...
...
...in silence.

I know, I know.  Not your typical Katy type of thing to do, but it has been an awesome practice to begin.

The funny part?  

It's not silent. 

 There is an original symphony performed each evening by a variety of birds.  Whether they are just calling out to each other or tootin' their own horn, it sounds like an evensong to me. 

In my stillness, I observe parts of God's good creation I might have looked over before. 

Like this guy:



I've seen this little one almost every day, doing the chipmunk things you would expect him to do.  I find it absolutely adorable to watch (yes, I know it is a form of rodent...) and it feeds this silly dream I have to one day be like David from Alvin & the Chipmunks (or Princess Aurora, whichever comes first).


The other day on a walk, I saw this going on:
 



While it may sound silly to talk of the Disney Princesses and their woodland creatures, it isn't so silly to sit or walk and observe God's creation at work.  I think that's a practice of sorts, especially when done in silence. 

So, get out there. 
Open your eyes. 
Engage in your environment.
Sit in your own silence.
And listen.
Observe.
Reflect. 
And give thanks. 

"You are worthy, our Lord and God, to receive glory and honor and power, for you created all things, and by your will they existed and were created." -Revelation 4:11




No comments:

Post a Comment