Friday, May 24, 2013

Welcome to Chapel Thrill

In case you didn't know, I've got the pleasure of spending this summer in Chapel Hill, NC serving as the Summer Intern at University Presbyterian Church.  I've been here a week and already experienced the generosity of true Southern Hospitality (and the infamous humidity!).  

In the week of finals, my traveling looked a bit like this:

And it was totally worth it to spend time with these awesome people:









The time was short and sweet and involved the zoo, aunty bath times, puzzles & songs,  amazing weather, good food, and great company!

My internship gets me back into what I love doing most and what brought me to Columbia: Youth Ministry.  I'm going with a group of youth to Montreat Youth Conference (my first time as a Youth Leader!)  and will spend a week at Montreat Worship and Music Conference (my first time as well!) I will get to serve alongside youth on a mission week at Appalachian Service Project.  I will be involved in Sunday worship on the Sunday's I'm here and as part of that, I am keeping a liturgy journal of sorts.  And of course, there will be some preaching involved.  

I live in this adorable cottage, Blythe Haven:

 It is perfect!  (And have you ever seen a house with a pew for a couch?)

The best part is my commute to work - this is taken from the front yard:

It is so green here, I just can't get over it!  Here's a picture of the front of UPC, I'll work on getting a better one...

This is the first time I've ever lived in downtown of sorts, and this being a college town, just about everything is walk-able!  I've been taking daily walks and just exploring the neighborhood.  I've got a good friend from CTS who is in Durham for a while, and she's been showing me the sights over there as well.  

I'm looking forward to this summer. I know it might be challenging at times, but as Bette Davis said, "The key to life is accepting challenges.  Once someone stops doing this, he's dead."  



No comments:

Post a Comment