Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Shall We Gather at the River

 I cannot believe that tonight is my last night in Chapel Hill for this summer internship.  I'm being specific with the dates because I've fallen in love with this area they call "the Triangle" (despite it's 100% humidity at times) - and I intend to come back.  It has been such a blessing to worship, learn, teach, preach, sing, dance, play, read, eat, and just be with this community called UPC.  

I truly have felt a part of this congregation, and not just because they have to be nice to me and like me as their intern for the summer (which, I hope really never happens anywhere...).  

The past few weeks have felt like a whirlwind due to unexpected life events then followed by a week long mission trip with the youth to Hinton, West Virginia with Appalachian Service Project, then wrapping up my last week here in the church.  


I know all good things come to an end.  I know it is good that I am returning home to things familiar.  I know it is good that I set up my summer so I would have the next few weeks to focus on Ordination Exams and not be too super stressed out about them.  (Which, let's be honest, I still am semi-super stressed out about them...)  

It is good that I am going to be able to worship at my home church for more than just one quick Sunday!
It is good that I will be going to my 10 year high school reunion! (gulp!)
It is good that I will be able to spend some time with my ailing grandfather!


But, it still is sad to say goodbye. 


So, I've been cheating.  I've been telling all the good folk here, "see you later".  

And I mean it.

  I want to see them later - at Montreat or some fun conference type thing.  
Or in Atlanta, should they decide to swing through for a visit. 
Or however or wherever God arranges for us to meet.  


One of the neat things I've done here at UPC is one of the things I love to do best.  I had the opportunity to sing a beautiful arrangement of "Shall We Gather at the River" with an awesome guy who also happens to be an awesome baritone.  Jim was a chaperone for the Montreat Youth Conference and when we sat together in the pews for worship and sang, it was awesome.  

He would harmonize, I would harmonize, the youth would harmonize.  
It was a little bit magical at times.  
(The people in front of us even said how much they loved our harmonies...and I don't think they were being sarcastic...).

Anyways, we thought it would be fun to sing at church - and we did!  They even thought to record it!  Listen to it by clicking the link above or this one. 

**I'll be honest - this song was picked way ahead of time, and then something happened that made this song even more precious to me.  I'll write about it soon, but getting through this song was TOUGH (with a capitol T).  Singing and crying were not made to co-exist, despite what the opera world would have you think.**  

Regardless, enjoy. 

 It was a pleasure to sing and worship God in one of my favorite ways, and share it with others.  
And, it is one of many, many, many fond memories I will have from my time here at UPC. 





No comments:

Post a Comment