Monday, November 7, 2011

I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change

Have you ever felt this way towards someone you love?  You love them unconditionally but wouldn't mind if they would stop touching their silverware to their teeth when they eat, because that noise makes you cringe like nobody's business.

I have to admit - guilty like whoa on this one. The post I wrote the other day on perfection has kind of stuck with me. And has made me feel a bit hypocritical which I hate feeling.  I've noticed I get frustrated at other people for their lack of perfection. I seem to hold everyone else up to these higher standards, and yet when I think about it, I can't even maintain the standards.

Yikes.

And ouch, to my self esteem.

I wondered about this often over the past week; I like to think I am a nice, friendly and kind.  But I don't always act like that - especially when I work alongside people who don't do things like I do, or when I hear stories about things I highly disagree with, or even when I am driving along some Atlanta roads with some not so courteous drivers. I don't like this version of me.  It goes against everything I spoke about the other day!

So what to do? I like this quote from Leonard Cohen; I think it speaks to ways of embracing not just my own imperfections, but in accepting other's imperfections.  So what if my peers don't wipe down the counters how I would wipe them down; I have years of experience working in my family's kitchen and a catering kitchen where we had certain expectations.  Instead of whining about it, I could embrace their way as they show a different way.  So what if that car cuts me off and leads me to think ugly thoughts toward them; I should just take a deep breath and pray that if they are in a hurry, they get there safely.  And do the people who think different thoughts?  That is an opportunity for my mind to be expanded.

My personal goal this week is to stop looking at and judging the imperfections I see in people and start embracing them.  Who knows - the light might shine on something new.

Gracious God, you created a unique and very diverse world. Help me to notice the variety of gifts and talents and embrace them; keep my eyes open to see all people as you do, and love them as you do.  In a world so full of injustice and hatred, I pray I keep your love in my heart and in my actions.  Let me remember that even cracked bells ring clear and beautifully. In all I do, I pray  I remember the grace you so freely give me and remember that with all the people I serve and love. In your name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see you wrestling with these thoughts. Reflecting on how you judge others will help you be a better pastor.

    ReplyDelete