Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Surrender

And now for the devotion part.  I actually wrote this to the Mission Committee at my home church and it has really been on my heart and mind.   We listened/watched this video and I think it is a good use of 6 minutes of your life.  Or you could always just listen to it while you are "working".  


One of my ongoing prayer requests in coming to seminary has been taking care of the financial obligations while here.  It is amazing to hear the stories of calling here at school, and like myself, many of my peers left jobs, families, and security in embarking on this journey.  One of our chapel sermons was on what does it truly mean to serve as an instrument of God and we were reminded we “surrender” all so God is able to fully use us to His great glory.  Surrendering isn’t something I have really thought much about, but upon reflecting and spending time with scripture, I realize there is much to surrender.  Sometimes it is small things such as that Starbucks latte with one splenda, while other times it manifests itself as a bigger picture – surrendering the burdens and worries of my heart.  We are reminded multiple times on what it means to have faith, and in Hebrews 11:29-31 are reminded again, “By faith the people passed through the Red Sea as on dry land; but when the Egyptians tried to do so, they were drowned.  By faith the walls of Jericho fell, after the army had marched around them for seven days. By faith the prostitute Rahab, because she welcomed the spies, was not killed with those who were disobedient.”  It is in surrendering all and living in our faith that we truly become vessels of 

God.


I will tell you I wake up every morning and have to remind myself to surrender all.  And before I go to bed, I write in my prayer journal (best idea ever...more on that later) and physically write out what I need to let go of.  It's a struggle.  It's a journey.  It's a process.  But it is so that God can use me.
Prayer:  Almighty and eternal God, so draw our hearts to you, so guide our minds, so fill our imaginations, so control our wills, that we may be wholly yours, utterly dedicated unto you; and then use us, we pray you, as you will, and always to your glory and the welfare of your people; through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.  (From the Book of Common Prayer)

No comments:

Post a Comment