Saturday, February 16, 2013

Lent 2013...a few days late

I'm a few days behind in my Lenten plan. 
Whoops.
I haven't given anything up.  
I'm not re-starting my resolutions, which now that I think of, I never wrote down.

I'm not sacrificing much during the next forty days so that I can feel "closer to God" but instead have decided to take on something. 

It is a discipline of sort and something I've been thinking about even before these forty days were upon us.

If you haven't noticed, I am a bit behind on my blogging.  I guess you can't be behind if you haven't started, but you get the picture.

I've noticed my writing on my blog has been a bit of a battle; I set out with all these expectations and rules that I feel I need to follow.  The writing seems to be a production, and then there is the need to do this, then that, then  this thing again...

It has become too much of a chore for me because I am a bit too controlling with it.  Instead of just an online reflection of what's going on in my world, I feel the need to produce this monumental piece of literature. (And let's be honest, I'm no Dickens or Bronte in the works...)

I've always loved to write, just like I've loved to sing.  It has been an organic part of my reflection process and allowed for personal growth I never imagined.  

So, my Lenten practice is working on getting back to that form of writing. 
I'm hoping to let go of my reins and let the spirit be at work. 
I'm hoping to "let go" a bit more and "let God".  
So, there's the jar full of over 40 words.
And each day, maybe twice a day if I've missed one, I'll pull a word and follow the prompt.
I'm going with "beauty in..." as my prompt.
  It struck me during my January class how much beauty was present even in the ugly things we were seeing at work in our world.
The words have come from more than just myself, so we will see what happens.

I'm hoping as I sit down to write in regards to my word to break myself of the "rules" I've imagined I need to follow.  

There may be pictures, there may not be.  
And I will work on being ok with that.  

It might only be a paragraph or maybe multiple paragraphs.

And if all else fails, there is always this. 



No comments:

Post a Comment