Sunday, February 17, 2013

Word #2: Context

I knew it would come up, just not so soon.
It is as if every word I'm not feeling so willing to dwell upon comes to my finger tips!  

So...context...
I semi-jokingly put this word in just because I sometimes feel here in seminary, "Jesus" isn't the right answer but "context" is. 

con·text

  [kon-tekst]
noun

1.
the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect: 
2.
the set of circumstances or facts that surround 
a particular event, situation, etc.


I honestly hadn't given much thought to context before coming to CTS  but it has been such a wonderful edition to my vocabulary and my thinking process.  My inclusion of context allows me pay more attention to the details that surround me.  All those English classes in undergrad should have prepared me for this context concept, but I never really thought about applying context to scripture.  (Silly, I know.)
 Beyond just physical and visual circumstances, thinking contextually allows for me a whole new reading of scripture.  

The beauty in context allows me to have a greater appreciation for the languages of Greek and Hebrew I've learned as I read scripture. 
The beauty in context allows me to get off my high horse every once in awhile and read through the eyes of a child or youth.
The beauty in context is the ability for the spirit to be at work the the words of God.  

I could go on and on, but I'm going to stop and be selfish and watch some Downton Abbey. 

But, 

I'm so glad I've had some wise professors, mentors, and parents in my life who have encouraged me to keep an open mind and heart to context. 

No comments:

Post a Comment