Monday, February 18, 2013

Word #3 - Control



Ok.
 For real. 
What in the world was I thinking when I threw these words in the jar?!?!!? 
In a weak moment, I almost threw this word back into the jar, then, heaving a heavy sigh, decided that was too “controlling”. 
This is one of my own personal “trouble” words.  Control and I have a love/hate relationship, and it has been this way for quite a while. 
After drawing it earlier today, I’ve spent some time thinking about how I would approach it today.  I’m not exactly how sure my prompt works with this word. 

“Beauty in” control. 

Along my commute to babysitting I decided to observe control in action.  (Or, lack of control to be more precise.) 
Control:
  •          My driving skills
  •          Ability to eat only 4 crackers (not the whole sleeve)
  •          Changing of the radio station at my leisure
  •          Getting child to wear shoes for majority of the time spent outdoors
  •          My walking/running/breathing
  •          How clean (or messy) my room is
  •          Ability to get assignments and readings done for class

Out Of Control:
  •          A broken down car in a turn only lane onto the highway
  •          RED LIGHTS
  •          Other drivers
  •          Conversations in class…
  •          The weather
  •          Toddlers sneaking crackers
  •          Geese attacking said toddlers with crackers

These are just a few examples of “control” at work in the world.  
I can’t help but think of the toddlers I get to watch when it comes to control.  They are SO in the groove of learning control right now, from saying “no” to things they don’t want to one of the biggest control issues in the world: potty training.  If there is beauty to be found in this idea of control, I am so thankful for the beauty of sticker charts and marshmallows that encourage wee ones to learn how to control their bodies.

Potty humor aside, control can be destructive or instructive. 

 I think of the wise college chaplain who encouraged me to write down all the questions that would pop in my head while in class or meetings down in a journal, and then after reflecting on them, ask.  That has been a monumental tool for me in controlling my impulses. I also now write out my shopping list before I go to the store; in hopes I will not make impulsive purchases.

Destructive examples of control can be found in eating disorders or other various forms of addictions.

I think the ultimate point for me:
 being in control is finding the balance.  


It is not good to eat much honey,

    or to seek honor on top of honor.

 Like a city breached, without walls,

    is one who lacks self-control.  –Proverbs 25:27-28

OUT OF CONTROL: Dancing with our crackers near the geese.

By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against such things.  And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. – Galatians 5:22-24

No comments:

Post a Comment