Sunday, August 28, 2011

Home

Just a quick post tonight - lots on my mind.  
HOME
 This word and all it encompasses has been weighing on my heart of late.  I am addicted to listening to books on cd while driving, and randomly chose Julie Andrews' memoir Home.  I mainly chose this a) because she reads it, b) she is my childhood still my hero, and c) umm, hellooo, it's JULIE ANDREWS.  It has been an absolute delight, but it wasn't until about a couple hours into it, when I was leaving the Texas state line, that it hit me:  HOME.  Julie Andrews was describing in loving tenderness her home and I realized, "OMG, I just left all I know of home!"  Upon arrival to my new living quarters, I was startled to realize I didn't even bring a stuffed animal or any kind of "homey" object (unless of course coffee mugs count...).


Leaving home is hard.  Even as a grown adult, I can say that.  Walking into my parent's house, I immediately disregard my shoes, sort through mail, find the cat, and then meander over to the fridge.  Here in my room at Columbia, I don't even own a fridge!


Family pet Charlie waiting to go "home" on cold day.  Feb 2011
Hearing Julie (I can call her that, her being my idol and all...) talk about her growing up and what made home has really made me think, and of course cry, in thinking of my home.  It is more than just the building, it is the sights, sounds, smells, and love that is thrown all together and made right somehow.  Even when it is empty of the cacophony of sounds that make up my family, it is home.  I miss it right now, and I know I will miss it later too.  


It is hard for me right now to imagine my room as "home".  Today upon ending our YMLI event, a prayer was said for safe travels returning home.  In my mind I was thinking, "If only!  I just walk across a sidewalk!".  As if she could read my mind, the lovely minister facilitator turned to me and said, "And prayers for Katy as she establishes a new home here at Columbia, in this community, and transitions."  After the day I've had, my eyes welled up and I was ever so grateful for that prayer.  


Where is your home?  What makes it home?  


The more I think about it, my home is where I feel Christ's abundant love and spirit at work.  Home is where I know I am recognized and loved completely for the child of God I am.  Home, truly is, where the heart is.  And I plan on following Jesus' instructions and look forward to "returning home...to tell how much God has done for me" (Luke8:39).


Prayer: Abba Father, help my heart, mind, and eyes be open to all I discover in my new home.  Be with my family during this trying time and help them to feel your presence.  Help them to know how much I love and miss them.  I pray for those on the coast; help them to know "The Storm is Passing O'er" and they are in your care.  Thank you for the prayers and kind words heard today, and I ask for safe travels as old and new YMLI friends travel home.  In Your name I pray, Amen. 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I have been out of touch but I'm happy that you're beginning to feel settled in. Remember our first day at Clyce? Though I'm not there to be the first one to say hello, it sounds like you've got some good people to help you. Remember home is where the heart is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest part of any move is the transition. Keep taking bites of the elephant each day and in a few short months you will be amazed at your progress down this new and exciting journey. Jump at this opportunity for something new, and remember that home will always be there waiting for you. I have found that being away makes it that much sweeter when you finally get a chance to return! Know I love and miss you, twin.

    ReplyDelete