Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"Use What You've Been Given"

So even when I think I am about to go to bed worry free and fall into peaceful slumbers, I am wrong.  A few years back I would wake up with horrible headaches and my face would hurt after waking up.  I know it sounds silly to say one's face hurt, but it did.  My doctor couldn't figure it out, but after a routine dental check-up, my dentist did.  Appearently I'm a grinder.  This sounds a little like a horror film in the making, but simply put, I grind my teeth when I sleep.  It is of course associated with anxiety levels and stress at times, but because it happens when I am unconscious, there isn't much I can do.

Except for this: my own personal night guard.  It is custom fit to my teeth and even comes with it's own pink case.  Once placed in my mouth, it protects my top teeth from my bottom.  It even gives me a new way of talking that is irresistable.  (Ok...not really at all...)  So I had this thing made, used it, and then of course stopped...until a couple years laters (present time) when my new dentist casually asked if I woke up with headaches or if my face hurt.  "Why yes, it does of late", I exclaimed, "and I have this thing I should probably wear at night, right?"  Dr. AMAYSing nodded her head and said something along the lines of, "you would think you would use what you've been given". 

"You would think you would use what you've been given" - I wonder how many times God looks down at us humans and exclaims the same thing.  I know there are times when I have felt I can't do something or I don't have what I need to have and I am almost always humbly reminded my someone wiser than me (yes, a mother or father or aunt or college chaplain) that I do have what I need and I have all the time.  It doesn't always come perfectly fit with it's own pink case, but God has provided for me.

Part of the fun for me in college was discovering the gifts I have and developing them to the best of my abilities - for example, working on my voice.  It was almost surreal when I would be practicing or performing and things just clicked how they were supposed to.  Mind you, it did not happen over night - it took lots of time of me with an instructor or alone in a practice room late at night in creepy Craig Hall.  But that work, that practice was so worth it when I looked at my listeners or saw the approval in my instructor's eyes.  I was using what God has given me in a good way.

Working with youth this lesson has stuck with me.  Part of youth ministry leadership is guiding and encouraging these fresh minds and eager hearts to use what God has given them.  It is so exciting when a youth completes a mission project and stands back amazed at what they have done; they are proud of themselves (as they should be!) and as a youth worker, we need to affirm what good they do.  We should affirm the gifts they possess, regardless of shape, size, talent level!   Our group would have been so boring if all of us sang; we needed some people who could put us in order, or play the drums, or provide other gifts.  I've been blessed to have people in the past and present affirm my gifts and who gently remind me to "use what I've been given", and I pray God continues to work in me so I can better serve him.

Prayer: Generous God, you alone are holy and mighty.  I thank you for the gifts you've given me and also the guidance you've provided.  I pray you continue to guide me in my call as a follower of Christ and remind me what a blessed Child of God I am.  In your name, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. You have a wonderful gift for writing too! I'm loving your blog.

    ReplyDelete