Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Can't Live A Day



The other night in Survey of Old Testament, we presented the book of Jonah in small groups to our fellow peers.  It was an absolutely delightful experience that I think we all enjoyed on various levels.
One of the groups did this amazing video of interviews where they asked questions to members in their group.  Maybe it was the questions they asked, or the honesty in the responses, and it might have been the music; regardless, it was powerful.

The questions they came up with in response to the story of Jonah were:

  1. What is your own turning point?
  1. What was a time of personal disobedience?
  1. What is your Nineveh? 

They used a song I hadn't listened to in probably what seems like a million years or so, Avalon's Can't Live A Day.  

(Definitely worth 3.5 minutes of your life, I promise.)  I remember buying the CD (DOVE Nominees 2000) and listening to it on repeat...all. the. time. 


(Of course on my trusty Discman.  For those of you who know what that is...)

Anyways, back to the Avalon song.  It is so beautiful at painting an image of what we can do with God's love.  It speaks to all the worldly treasures we could have at our fingertips, but how they would mean nothing without the love of our God in our hearts.

I know I often say I "can't live without sugar free hazelnut lattes" (which I make myself of course...) or I "can't live without my yoga pants that have the tummy-sucker-in thing" (which by the way, are AMAZING!).

But I can live without all those things.

I can live without caffeine and pants.  I can live without lots of things.

What can't I live without?  My God. When everything else seems off or horrible, I have this faith in knowing I am a beloved child of God.  I can't truly live without fully embracing who I am created to be.  I was humbly reminded about that today in class.  I was challenged with the thought of if we are not living into our potential, is this against what God wishes for us?  (Or wants for us...?)

Isn't it a powerful thought to think God made you just as you and you are perfect in his eyes?  (yes, I do recognize we fall quite short of that, but you know what I mean.)

And isn't even more powerful of a thought to know that God sent his ONLY son (who did happen to be perfect) down here to DIE for our sins? 

I think this song for me so many years ago was a turning point; as a youth (specifically a Senior in High School), I think I was reminded about the hugeness of God's love and what that looks like in the context of our world.  For some it might mean being the smartest person in the world, or the richest person, or even the most beautiful.

For me, I think it means embracing who I am and loving what God has created and is creating within me.  

What about you?


Prayer is from the lyrics from Can't Live A Day ~ Avalon


I could live life alone
And never fill the longings of my heart
The healing warmth of someone's arms
And I could live without dreams
And never know the thrill of what could be
With every star so far and out of reach
I could live without many things
And I could carry on, but

I couldn't face my life tomorrow
Without Your hope in my heart I know
I can't live a day without You
Lord, there's no night and there's no morning
Without Your loving arms to hold me
You're the heartbeat of all I do
I can't live a day without You

I could travel the world
See all the wonders beautiful and new
They'd only make me think of You
And I could have all life offers
Riches that were far beyond compare
To grant my every wish without a care
Oh, I could do anything, oh yes
But if You weren't in it all



I couldn't face my life tomorrow
Without Your hope in my heart I know
I can't live a day without You
Lord, there's no night and there's no morning
Without Your loving arms to hold me
You're the heartbeat of all I do
I can't live a day without You


Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I know you could live with out pants...but since you're in seminary, you may want to keep the pants around. JK! Hope everything is going well and can't wait to see you for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete