Monday, December 12, 2011

O Magnum Mysterium


I don't believe in coincidences...even if it is a fun word to say when you say it like this, coinkadink.  



I believe God puts all those puzzle pieces out there and sometimes, they just fit...sometimes too perfectly.

Yesterday was kind of one of those days.

I worshiped at a new church and was delighted when they sang, O Magnum Mysterium by Morten Lauridsen.

It is an absolutely beautiful peace and for me, it was a wonderful time of meditation.

I then got to listen to it again that evening at the Moravian Love Feast - it was just as enjoyable as the first time and my time of prayer and meditation was even more meaningful.

And then, when relaxing and skimming facebook after three solid hours of Hebrew, a friend had posted a video of the same song performed by the Kings College Choir.

Third times the charm?

Who knows.

Is God trying to tell me something in this song?

Who knows.

I just know each time I listened to it yesterday, it led me to different prayers, different thoughts and yet still moved me.

Maybe God is reminding me of the power music holds for me in my spiritual life, and how I miss it.

Maybe God is just reminding me to listen, listen, and listen again.

Maybe God is just wanting me to be still so that I can better hear what is being said.

Who knows.

I would encourage you to take the time to listen to this song.

I would encourage you to even listen to it more than once.

I would encourage you to keep your mind and heart open to where this music moves you.

Here's the text in both Latin and English if you care to follow along:


Latin text

O magnum mysterium,
et admirabile sacramentum,
ut animalia viderent Dominum natum,
jacentem in praesepio!
Beata Virgo, cujus viscera
meruerunt portare
Dominum Christum.
Alleluia.




English translation
O great mystery,
and wonderful sacrament,
that animals should see the new-born Lord,
lying in a manger!
Blessed is the Virgin whose womb
was worthy to bear
Christ the Lord.
Alleluia!




No comments:

Post a Comment