Friday, December 23, 2011

Joy.

Christmas Blessings to you all!  It is finally cold here in Dallas and seems like a December day.  
If you have wondered at all why I haven't posted in awhile it's because I was busy doing this:
Or something like it - you can see a side by side translation at this website:

I am finished with Hebrew (for this semester) and can say with JOY, I passed. 
I have completed my first semester of seminary at Columbia Theological Seminary (with flying colors) and am full of JOY.
Isn't JOY such a wonderful feeling?  This Christmas season is often the season of joy.  

There's a commercial for JC Penny saying the best thing to give is "joy".  
(Time Warner Cable has one as well...)

We sing songs of joy - "Joy to the World".

We think of children's faces full of joy from lights, laughs or gifts.
There's even the Christmas Joy Offering from PC (USA).  You can read more about it by clicking here.
What does joy mean to you? 

 While it was for me completing my semester at school and coming home at first, now I find moments of joy in rocking my sweet niece to sleep. 

 I find joy in my nephew's ridiculous cheesy grin and laugh that he so willingly shares. 

There is joy in sitting around a table with friends, family and good food. 

 There is joy in the mundane act of brushing my teeth with my little sister.  

There is joy in worshiping at my home church.  

Why, we even have joy on our front door at home.
I've got joy on my mind, and I pray it lasts beyond this holiday season.

Just so you know, joy is indeed an Old Testament theme.  Lots of feasting included joy. 

Nehemiah 8:10 Then he said to them, “Go your way. Eat the fat and drink sweet wine and send portions to anyone who has nothing ready, for this day is holy to our Lord. And do not be grieved, for the joy of the LORD is your strength.” 

As you enjoy this season, I pray you remember the joy that comes in the everyday and how it can be our strength.  It sure is mine.

Prayer: Lord, the joy around us is contagious and encouraging.  As we anticipate the arrival of your son, our Savior, the light of the world, help us to be full of joy.  Lead us to share our joy with others as willingly as our young friends do. Help us to keep our eyes and hearts open to all the joy and light in this world even in the darkness.  In your holy name we pray, amen.

1 comment:

  1. I find joy in having you around again! Too bad you won't be around that long. :(

    ReplyDelete