Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dear Companion

Scripture for the day:
60  When many of his disciples heard it, they said, “This is a hard saying; who can listen to it?” 61 But Jesus, knowing in himself that his disciples were grumbling about this, said to them, “Do you take offense at this? 62 Then what if you were to see the Son of Man ascending to where he was before? 63  It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh is no help at all. The words that I have spoken to you are spirit and life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” (For Jesus knew from the beginning who those were who did not believe, and who it was who would betray him.) - John 6:60-64


Last week during chapel, I was introduced to a song.  How it was presented might be part of the reason I am so in love with it, but it also too is a very good song to listen to.  (I promise, a good use of 3 minutes!)

The song is entitled "Dear Companion" and it is performed by Ben Sollee and Daniel Martin Moore.  How it was presented for our chapel service was as part of our meditation.  We read scripture (which of course I am completely blanking on but I think the one above fits) and then spent time in silence meditating.  We then were presented with this song and the lyrics were displayed on the screen in front in time with the music.

I found it a very moving song and I hope you will take the time to listen to it.  They explain the history of the song, but I first listened to it without any context except having read a passage from the bible involving Jesus (so you know who was on my mind...) Here's the best version I've found (courtesy of Youtube)...the lyrics are posted down below.

Dear Companion,
Am I on your mind?
Dear Companion, 
Am I on your mind?
You have never left mind.


Dear Companion,
You're deaf to me I fear.
Dear Companion,
You're deaf to me I fear.
Your life is far away from here.


Dear Companion,
Can you hear my cry?
Dear Companion, 
Can you hear my cry?
From this cold bed where I lie.

Dear Companion,
Before I close my eyes,
Dear Companion,
Before I close my eyes,
I wonder if I am on your mind.


What in this songs speaks to you, especially in this season of Lent?

What about in relationship with the verse I put at the beginning?

Jesus is coming to the end of his journey - he knows it, and has just finished telling the disciples how he is the bread of life.  And they question him - still!

Are we the companion Jesus is seeking out?  Are we listening to him?

Needless to say, this song has stuck with me.  And the thought of Jesus seeking me out.  For some reason, it has weighed on my head and heart.

Prayer: Triune God, open our ears so that we can hear you speaking to us. Help us to not only keep  you on our minds, but also our hearts.  You sent your son to us, for us; he lived and died in order to redeem us.  Let us not forget his cries from the cross; let us not be deaf. You indeed are a speaking God...a moving God...an acting God, and we give thanks and praise for that.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment