Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Words with Friends

If you know me at all, you can agree that I am a "lover of words".  Maybe this is one way to indeed admit that I love to talk, but also I appreciate the use of words.  I love thinking about why we use the words we do and how we use the words we do.  I like hearing how people say words and the personalities and stories that come with their accents.

While it is not an obsession, I do have an affinity for a came called...Words with Friends.  Some people play solitaire, others knit, some draw - my relaxation comes in the form of this game.

For those of you who have not played it, it is basically an on-going game of Scrabble.  Some might stress over the actual "winning" of the game, but my favorite part is out doing myself.  I love it when I learn a new word (because I didn't believe the person who played said word and then looked it up, root and all...)or when I use a word that isn't commonly used.

The words I play and my competitor play in this somewhat silly game lead me somewhere...a memory is invoked or curiosity sparked.  These words guide me, whether I intend them to or not.

Y'all might know of this book called the Bible.  (Kind of a big deal where I'm at...)  It is full of words that guide, whether we intend them too or not. I'm thinking of this one verse in particular from Psalm 119, vs 105:


Your word is a lamp 
before my feet 
   and a light for my journey.

Yes, I imagine the word of the Lord to be this gorgeous lamp illuminating my well pedicured feet, and yes, this is an illusion.  Often times in reality it feels like the word of the Lord is the flashlight you put on the shelf in case of emergencies, and you never can find it when you need it because you never use it. 

Hmm...you never use it.  

My prayer today is that I start these words I read, these ancient texts that ARE INDEED relevant to today's world wisely.  And don't put them on the shelf in case of emergencies. 

Prayer:
O God of Light, Father of Life, Giver of Wisdom, Benefactor of our souls, who givest to the faint-hearted who put their trust in Thee those things into which the angels desire to look; O Sovereign Lord, who hast brought us up from the depths of darkness to light, who hast given us life from death, who hast graciously bestowed upon us freedom from slavery, and who has scattered the darkness of sin within us; do Thou now also enlighten our eyes of our understanding, and sanctify us wholly in soul, body, and spirit- Amen. 
~ Liturgy of Saint Mark (175-254?)


No comments:

Post a Comment