Monday, March 12, 2012

The Tie that Binds


Good day friends and I hope this Monday finds you all doing well.  This "Spring Forward" time change always gets me, but I know once the warmer weather is here and I find myself wanting to stay outdoors, I'll be thankful.

What the nails look like.
My mother graciously gave me a copy of the Lenten Devotion that my home church is using this Lenten season and it is entitled, "Your Nail" and includes, yes, you guessed it, a nail. There was some joking among our family with my mother and us kids, because she always had her nail on her - and we could see it. I was a little worried about flying back with this nail in my bag, but apparently TSA wasn't.

This book that accompanies the nail has been quite engaging.  Written by Arden W. Mead, it connects your nail you are carrying around with the context of nails in the bible, nails in our daily lives, and more.  

I found today's devotion intriguing mainly because of the questions it asks of the reader.  The devotion begins by saying "nails are very useful things...but often it takes a lot of them to get a job done". It goes on to talk about how we are not alone in this community of believers (in this case, in the community of "nail holders") and how today would be a good day to think about them:  

  • Who are your fellow Christians?
  • Where are they?
  • What do you have in common?
  • How does it help you to know that they are there?
  • Does it help them to know that you are there too? 

Reading and reflecting on these questions was really helpful this morning. I was reminded of my mom who faithfully has been carrying around her nail, allowing it to poke and prod her and remind her during this Lenten season.  I thought of my home church congregation who continues to keep me and our other seminarians in their prayers.  I thought of a friend who asked for prayers from his "Prayer Warrior" friends for his grandson.  I thought of a former youth who asked for prayers for her grandmother who is ill.  I thought of the communities in Japan who are still recovering, mourning, and rebuilding in the year since they're world was rock by an earthquake and tsunami.   I think of the community I am in now at CTS, especially with Midterms upon us. 


My heart has been especially heavy with the news this weekend about the US Sergeant who opened fire on Afghan people. (read more about it here http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=148387039) While details are still being discovered, what really spoke to me was this morning when it said the Sergeant was a husband and a father of two children.  My thoughts and prayers are not only with the Afghan families who lost children, husbands, or wives, but also with the family of this soldier. 

So, do we know we have other communities of believers uplifting us in thought and prayer?  Does it help us to know they're there?  For, me - yes.  I am reminded of the hymn, "Blessed Be the Tie That Binds".  I've included the words below, but I think the verse that means the most to me today and in thinking of the Communion of Saints is this one "From sorrow, toil and pain, and sin, 
we shall be free, and perfect love and friendship reign through all eternity." 


The Communion of Saints, myself and my fellow believers, are redeemed by the 
blood that came from the nails in Christ's hands. We are bound and tied together in Christ's 
redeeming love.  I do believe we share in each other's woes and burdens as well as our hopes and joys.  
I believe there is comfort to be found in this community of believers and 
like our nails, this is "useful and a good thing".  

 (I've used this hymn as my prayer today. During my reading of each verse, I thought of a person or a community in need of prayers that possibly related to what the verse was saying.  I would encourage you to try it.  If you are a music person like me, here is a link to an organ playing the hymn.)   
 

Blessed be the tie that binds 
Our hearts in Christian love; 
The fellowship of kindred minds
Is like that to that above.


Before our Father's throne 
We pour our ardent prayers;
Our fears, our hopes, our aims are one 
Our comforts and our cares.


We share each other's woes,
Our mutual burdens bear;
And often for each other flows 
The sympathizing tear.


When we asunder part,
It gives us inward pain; 
But we shall still be joined in heart,
And hope to meet again.


This glorious hope revives 
Our courage by the way; 
While each in expectation lives, 
And longs to see the day.


From sorrow, toil and pain, 
And sin, we shall be free,
And perfect love and friendship reign 
Through all eternity.




Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment