Tuesday, February 4, 2014

King's College Chapel

As I've mentioned before, I never tire of seeing the campus of Cambridge.  

King's College holds a special place in my heart probably because I've been listening to their music for years. (Years as in going to the library and checking out cd's of their music in the late 1990's.)  

Even before I decided to study music, I knew there was something special about the King's College Choir and I wanted to be a part of it!  Then came the devastating news that is an all boy/male choir. 

Pshaw. Good riddance! 

Just kidding, I still listen to them and hope I always do.

SO - finally being able to go into this sacred space and worship there was pretty awesome and all I could have hoped for.  These pictures are not from that time of worship.  They are from the first time I walked into the chapel and just about started crying because I was so overwhelmed by it all.  Some people have their dreams of seeing the Grand Canyon or Eiffel Tower or an "All You Can Eat Chocolate Fondue Buffet" - I have the dream of seeing places of worship. 

(Also, I'll see the Eiffel tower in about 7 weeks...eek!)

Regardless, walking into this space there are a million things that catch your eye - the stone, the light, the color, the organ, the wood, the ornate details, the not-so-noticeable-details, the tourists, the pews, the worship books, etc. 

So. Much. To. See. 

When I walked in, the organist happen to be practicing as well. 

(If you follow me on Instagram you can see the video I posted.  It doesn't do it justice, but you can kind of get the feel for how the organ fills up the space.  I could feel it in my heart.) 

Enjoy these pictures and know I took them with permission...no flash was used. 












 When I see organs like this, it makes me wish I didn't stink at piano/organ.


 I really wanted to lay on the floor and just look up.  I decided that may not be the best decision to make. 


 Only one of the MANY stain glass windows. 


 Yay Latin!  I understood most of this!



 I had just seen Shakespeare's King Richard III, and this chart was quite helpful in remembering the genealogy. 








 Courtyard at King's College





 



















(Seriously - this door and lock were so cool.)

If you would like to learn more about the history of this chapel, check out this website.   If you do find yourself in Cambridge on an day with nothing to do, I would say they've done a lovely job of setting aside a space where you can "walk through the building" of the chapel and learn some interesting facts.  I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. 

(And thanks for not judging my quality of photos...I use the really technologically advanced tools of my cell phone.)



Blessings, 
Katy


No comments:

Post a Comment