Thursday, January 9, 2014

American Faux Pas (The First of What is Sure to be Many)

I had my first "American Moments" today.  
The first one was in trying to use the water closet (aka restroom).  My friend had pointed out the door, and indeed, it said "WC" and had stick figures of people. I opened the door and there was a man inside, to which I profusely started apologizing and backing out the door. I waited until he had left and then cautiously made my way inside.  Upon entering, I discovered there were many stalls, and in further conversation, it is a space where both male and female can take care of business at the same time. 
Needless to say, I was slightly taken aback by all this (even though in our homes we share bathrooms...).  We did have a good laugh, though.

The second one is going to require some research on my part.  It was during our Intensive, "Godly Play" (stay tune for a post on this one...).  We have been taking turns leading the sessions as we finish up the course and the last one today was on communion, or The Lord's Supper.  I was feeling slightly confused by much of the conversation and the images that were being used in the lesson.  Think, "It's a Small World" wooden characters circled around a table.  I raised my hand and asked, "Is this lesson for World Communion Sunday?" to which majority of the class looked at me blankly. The professor mentioned that "World Communion Sunday" is an American thing. 
Oh. 
Huh. 
Once again, I felt quite American. 

I want to be quite clear that my "feeling American" isn't necessarily a bad thing or a good thing; it's more just being aware to the cultural differences at hand.  Being the inquisitive kind of gal I am, I like to get to the bottom of things, asking and wondering why.  I think Sherlock would have totally let me be his sidekick...just saying. 

On a completely random note, saw this really cool building on my walk to Boots (a pharmacy meets Sephora type of place).  It says it is a bank, but I will have to check it out in the daylight. 


Then there is this photo of St. John's College Chapel.  Once again, I'll try to walk during daylight hours and get some pictures.  It's quite nice walking in the evening though.  


And lastly, if you feel the desire to send snail mail, here is how you can reach me:
Katy Walters, PH 11
Westminster College
Madingley Road
Cambridge
CB3 0AA

(In case you wondered, PH = pidgeon hole.  I love this name.)

No comments:

Post a Comment