Wednesday, September 28, 2011

All Occasions

My mailbox at CTS.

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. 19 Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should.
Ephesians 6:18-20

You might be wondering what in the world a blurry picture of a mailbox has to do with this verse from Ephesians on prayer.

Hang with me.  I'll explain.
I promise.

I am not taking any New Testament "courses" at this time seeing as I am on the Hebrew tract, but here is what I do know at this time. 

First of all, the book of Ephesians was a letter written by Paul to the Christians in Ephesus.
Letters -> Mailbox. 

This letter was written to lift up and encourage those who were being persecuted for living out their Christian beliefs.  There was no "special occasion" to remember or celebrate.  It was just Paul's prayerful words written to people afraid.  This letter also included some basic instructions (in my mind the Ephesians were "newbies" to the Christian faith).  


He (Paul) was giving them in a letter what he could not do personally; Paul happened to be imprisoned at this time in Rome awaiting his trial.  He was writing to strengthen and give courage to the people.  I don't know about you, but to have someone who was in prison write to encourage me would MEAN something.  Paul also asks the people to pray for him.  I am going to be honest: I am very stubborn and sometimes it is VERY hard for me to ask for prayers.  And let's face it; some days my "chains" are more burdensome than I would like them to be.  (I've now written out "Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel" in the hopes that I also prayerfully consider the words that do come out of my mouth...)

I am a HUGE supporter of correspondence, regardless of any occasion.  People might think it silly the cards and letters I mail out, but it is a vital part of my Christian practice.  My letters and cards, as ridiculous as they can be (some are very ridiculous), are an act of prayer on my part.  I don't have this expectation that the person receiving it is so overwhelmed by my generosity in sending the card, but I do pray that they know they are loved and in my heart.  The act of taking time to sit and write is a practice; I am "alert...and praying for God's people".  

In this world we live in today, we don't always have to use a stamp or lick the envelope in our communication efforts.  This is awesome.  Can you imagine how Paul's message might have been if he was posting on everyone's wall?  (assuming he could...maybe he could tweet or blog...)  There are some people that argue facebook is impersonal.  I don't know about you, but even a simple hello on my wall means someone took the time to do that action, and there does not have to be some special occasion that has to happen.  As a former youth director, facebook enhanced my connection with youth and now while I'm away, it keeps me in touch with them all.  I consider that a blessing.  
I've been very blessed to have people who care enough about me and my journey here at school to strengthen and give courage through their letters, for no special occasion.  There have been days when I am terribly homesick and I will wake up to a text, email or a facebook message from someone wishing me well, or letting me know I am on their mind.  This is God at work; these are prayers being answered.
Wherever you are on your journey, whether it be at the beginning or closer to the end, you are being prayer for, on all occasions.  I pray your heart would be open to doing the same.


Gracious God,
You are good and merciful to your people. 
You are at work in so many ways we don't always see.
You provide us with friends and family to help us with our "chains".
You sustain and nourish us in bountiful and unexpected ways.
You are loved and honored.
In Your Son's name, 
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment