Saturday, September 17, 2011

Pray(er)

Something my former youth can attest to is that I always say, "There is no right/wrong way to pray."  Yes, this might be said during that awkward silence when we're looking for a volunteer to pray and I am trying to make it a bit more comfortable, but I have said it quite often... 


Don't worry, I am not changing my mind, but I do feel a bit lacking in the pray(er) department.  I was talking to a peer the other day regarding our "assigned" prayer partner/groups.  For the both of us, prayer really has been a personal discipline we've practiced.  We shared we both keep prayer journals and have done so for quite some time.  It wasn't that we were turned off by having an assigned prayer partner or group, it was just different.  In my life I've been apart of bible studies, classes, and various other groups but never a "prayer" group.  While prayer was a part of these practices, it was never as intentional as this seems.  


  Something I've noticed here at seminary, is prayer intentionally happens A LOT.  We open class with it, over our meals someone will share a grace, and even when meeting we'll just say a prayer.  Once again - this is a GOOD thing and it is not to say I didn't do this back home.  In looking back to prayer at home, it was almost as if it was ingrained into my life style.  My family shared grace together before most meals, I prayed on Sundays during worship and Sunday School, and I personally always prayed before youth events.  I'm thinking that something that has kind of "awoken" me to prayer is maybe the prayers I have heard.  One peer prayed before class and my immediate thought after he closed was, "Oh my gosh, I wish I could pray that well."   I have another professor who always takes audible breaths before opening in prayer and upon hearing it the first time I thought, "What a great idea - it slows my mind down focusing on my breath!"  It is as if I've been so impressed with everyone's prayers I forget about mine.


I found this picture that truly reminds me of what prayer means to me, at least right now.  Prayer is our conversation with God; it comes in words of supplication, adoration, confessions, and thanksgiving.  Prayer can be fancy and long or short and sweet.  Prayers are offered in life and death situations but it's ok to prayer for a parking spot, too.  Prayer is not discriminatory; all our God asks of us is a willing heart.  And the more I think about it, in my pray(er) life, it is an intentional act on my part to go to the Lord.  I need to remember that...and, that there is no right or wrong way to pray.


  "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:6-7).



    7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened." Matthew 7:7-8

Prayer: Gracious God, thank you for listening to the prayers of all your people.  I ask for an open heart and mind in my journey and that I continue to come with you intentionally and honestly.  You freely give peace to all who ask; I pray we remember that.  You take care of your creation in all times; I pray we remember that.  In your awesome name we pray, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment