Sunday, September 25, 2011

Work to Do

Today I had stepped out of my "Presbyterian Comfort" Zone and worshiped at Ebenezer Baptist Church.  If this church name rings a bell, that's good!  This church has played an important role in American history - it was the home church to the The Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.  His grandfather started the family's long tenure as pastors at the church serving from 1914 to 1931.  MLK Jr.'s father picked up in 1931 and continued to serve, and MLK Jr. joined his father as co-pastor from 1960 until his death.

Ok, historical facts behind, it was an awesome worship experience this morning.  There were multiple reasons for my attendance: 1) a worship paper where we need to compare worship experiences and 2) I'm a bit of a nerd when it comes to historical things, and 3) I wanted to see if African American Baptist choirs really were that good.

So my responses:
1) As far as theological differences, I couldn't see any major ones.  I went to church this morning to worship God and his son Jesus and see the Holy Spirit at work.  Check.    The biggest differences I found were more in the actions and reactions of the leadership and the worshipers.  The Prayer of the People included people going down front for a "laying on of hands" of sorts.  While that isn't always my cup of tea, I could see if you are hurting how the hand of a brother or sister in Christ holding onto you could be very comforting.  The service was also very informal in the sense of coming and going; people coming in late or leaving during the sermon.  (No lie, I did picture that happening with a certain pastor at a certain time and wondered what the response might have been...or what my response would be...)     
The children's choir led in worship and it was just about the cutest thing ever (isn't it always?).  The congregation was very friendly and it seemed numerous times during the service we were encouraged to greet/meet/reach out to our neighbor.  At one point, during what they called "Operation Andrew", we were to ask our neighbor if they believed in Jesus and if they had a church home.  (It's called Operation Andrew because when Andrew met Jesus, the first thing he did was tell his brother...get it?)  The sermon was based off of Micah 6: 6-8, 
6 With what shall I come before the LORD
   and bow down before the exalted God?
Shall I come before him with burnt offerings,
   with calves a year old?
7 Will the LORD be pleased with thousands of rams,
   with ten thousand rivers of olive oil?
Shall I offer my firstborn for my transgression,
   the fruit of my body for the sin of my soul?
8 He has shown you, O mortal, what is good.
   And what does the LORD require of you?
To act justly and to love mercy
   and to walk humbly with your God.
The Eternal Flame at Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s Tomb

I took copious notes during the sermon (as I always do) and now am having a hard time figuring out in what order they all go in.  Here are some tidbits I am most fond of:
  • Good faith asks questions (Micah asking what to bring to a God who already has everything?
  • If you come to church for a soothing experience, that sounds more like a Jacuzzi - not an hour with Jesus.
  • If God is on the inside, we should see it on the outside (speaking of living out justice and loving kindness)
  • "I wish America would read the Bible for a change." - Rev. Dr. Raphael G. Warnock
  • Mercy - I didn't get what I deserved - Shields us
  • Kindness -  I got what I didn't deserve - Lifts us
The Rev. Dr .Warnock also talked about what happened with Troy Davis this week here in Atlanta.  Whether you believe in the death penalty or not, Troy Davis' death did happen.  Dr. Warnock made some comments that really spoke to me regarding it all, coming back to what it means to do justice as a follower of Christ.  It was very humbling to see this pastor in a more than just a preacher role - he speaks for those who don't have a voice; he speaks to those who can't bother to listen.  Dr. Warnock also lifted up in prayer the families of James Byrd (victim in Jasper, TX) and Lawrence Brewer (executed this week in Texas for the murder of James Byrd).

I think what sticks with me most is that there is "work to do" as a follower of Christ.  The work goes beyond comfortable and easy.  It involves defining terms such as a "justice" and standing up when no one else will.  

 Sanctuary of Ebenezer Baptist
2) Historically speaking, Ebenezer uses a new sanctuary than the one MLK Jr. preached in.  I did step in the historic part (now a part of National Parks) and sat on a pew in silence for a spell.  Upon feeling the silence, I  got chills - sure it could be because it was 32 degrees in there, but I think of all that happened in the sanctuary.  The prayers and words spoken, the encouragement heard, the gospel lived out.  Mama King was also murdered here.  It was actually mentioned in the service today: Christine King Farris was in worship and reminded Rev. Dr. Warnock that in response to her mother's murderer, when she faced him, she said, "Do not kill him."  Still mulling over it all; most likely will have another entry on how politics and the church go hand in hand...or do they?

3) The Music.  Oh my goodness, if I am to join any choir - it will be like the one I heard and witnessed today.  Music is a vital part of the service - it almost weaves in and out of the prayers, the sermon, and all aspects of the almost two hour service.  To be perfectly honest, I only knew about this kind of praise from watching "The Blues Brothers" and when they go see James Brown.  There where no cartwheels down the aisle, but I guarantee every hand was clapping and dancing was encouraged at one point.  The call and response types of songs made it easier to join in and not have the hymnal dragging us down - I enjoyed it.  It was refreshing, inspiring, and I truly left feeling like I was ready for the "work to do".

Tomb of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr and his wife.

"That old law about 'an eye for an eye' leaves everybody blind.  The time is always right to do the right thing." 
- Martin Luther King, JR.



Gracious God, we thank you for all you give to us.  Remind us that there is work to do in your world and as followers of Jesus we care called to do it.  Help us to do justice, love kindness, and walk humbly with you.  
In your name, Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment