Thursday, September 29, 2011

Shehechiyanu Blessing

The Shehechiyanu is a Jewish blessing that thanks God for sustaining our lives so that we can experience a moment of joy.  This is a blessing for the second night of Rosh Hashanah and it seemed very fitting in praying today on my birthday.  (And I am not THAT good at Hebrew to actually know what all the words are, but I can stumble along and pronounce them!  Small victories!)
The Shehehiyanu


Blessed are You, Adonai our God, Sovereign of the Universe, 
Who has granted us life, Who has sustained us,and Who has enabled us to reach this festive occasion.

Shana tova (a good year!) to you all and I pray you remember the abundant blessings God has given us in each day!  
I woke up to balloons outside my door and have already received many "happy birthdays" from friends and family members alike.  I think the best compliment was when asked my age (27), I was greeted with surprise!  Yay for looking (or acting?) young.  I have already celebrated by eating some blueberry pancakes (Ginny & Dad's are better!) and going to Hebrew and Chapel.  
 I will continue celebrating my birthday by working in the cafeteria, watching some cute kids, and studying Hebrew like whoa this evening for a big quiz tomorrow.  I also plan on eating cake or ice cream at least twice today. Yee haw. 

Blessings to you all!

2 comments:

  1. Missing you and wishing lots of blessing on your Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I was there to bake you a bazillion little pies to go with your cake/ice cream, and drink tea with you, and sing broadway songs with you! Happy Birthday! PS. I also love your blog, it's incredible and I look forward to hearing about the rest of your journey.

    ReplyDelete